Saturday, February 9, 2013


" Sic subscribitur,
"JAMES RENWICK."February 13, 1688."

A LETTER TO HIS CHRISTIAN FRIENDS,

WRITTEN IN THE TIME OF HIS REPRIEVAL.
"MY DEAR FRIENDS IN CHRIST, — I see then what hath been the language of my reprieve; it hath been, that I might be further tempted and tried; and I praise the Lord He hath assisted me to give further proof of steadfastness. I have been often assaulted by some Popish priests; but the last time that they came, I told them that I would debate no more with such as they were, and that I have lived and would die a Presbyterian Protestant, and testified against the idolatries, heresies, superstitions, and errors of their antichristian way.
"But yesterday, I was cast into a deep exercise, and made to dwell under the impression of the dreadfulness of everything that might grieve the Spirit of God. I found sin to be more bitter than death, and one hour's hiding of God's face more insupportable. And then at night I was called before a party of the Council, and the Chancellor produced the Informatory Vindication, and asked if I knew it. I answered, 'I did know it.' And being interrogated, I confessed that I had a great hand writing of it. They pressed me to tell my assistants. I told them they were those they were persecuting; but would satisfy them no further. They also urged me, upon pain of torture, to tell where were our societies, who kept our general correspondences, and where they were kept. I answered, though they should torture me, which was contrary to all law after sentence of death, I would give them no further notice than the book gave. I was, moreover, threatened to tell of my haunts and quarters, but I refused to make known any such thing to them; so I was returned to prison again. Such an exercise as I had was very needful for such a trial; and I would rather have endured what they could do unto me than have dishonored Christ, offended you, and brought you into trouble.
"But I hope, within less than three days, to be without the reach of all temptation. Now I have no more to say. Farewell again in our blessed Lord Jesus.
"JAMES RENWICK."February 15, 1688.

No comments:

Post a Comment